After walking around for a few weeks on a sore foot, I finally broke down and went to the doctor today. He did an x-ray and found a heel spur. So, these are the instructions I need to follow for the next 8+ weeks until it heals:
1) Do not go barefoot. Make sure the soles of the shoes are padded, unlike house shoes that have no padding between my foot and the hard floor. YUCK! (This will be hard because I LOVE to go barefoot. When I walk in the door, my shoes usually come off before going into the living room.)
2) Wear heel cups in my shoes to help alleviate the pain.
3) Take Mobic, an anti-inflammatory, once a day for the pain.
4) Stop exercising on the elliptical and any weight lifting or exercising that involves my feet. He suggested swimming and upper body weights. I'll have to check with him about using a bicycle.
5) Stay off of my feet as much as possible. (Yeah right; I have three kids and a husband to take care of.)
6) To help the discomfort, put the insole of my foot on a ball or bottle and roll it around with my foot. This will help stretch out the muscles.
The healing process is slow so I need to be patient. That is one virtue in which I am in short supply.