Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Friday, September 25, 2009

Happenings Around Here and Rants

It has been raining A LOT around here. The weatherman last night said the total rainfall for September was 8.55 inches, six inches ABOVE NORMAL!!!! Soccer practices were cancelled last week and this week. The kids' soccer games were cancelled last Saturday and it looks like they may be cancelled this week too. The ground is just way to wet. There may be some relief in sight - Sunday is suppose to be sunny!! The rest of next week is forecasted to be sunny up until Thursday or Friday, but then only partly cloudy. As much as I love the rain, I am ready for the kids to be able to go outside and play. They've been couped up inside here at home and at school (they can't go out on the playground when it's wet) for too long.

This week I started back working out at the Y. They have a new incentive program called "America On The Move." The goal to to "walk" to all the local YMCAs. The total distance is 106 miles. If I do one mile on the elliptical, it counts as two. If I do a Spin class (cycling), I earn four miles for my efforts. Right now, I have gone nine miles total. I have three more to go to get to the first Y. Once you have completed the trip, you get a t-shirt. I have until November 22 or so to complete my "trip." Today, I went 1.5 miles in 51 minutes on the elliptical. I've been going one mile in about 34-36 minutes but decided to push it a little. Afterwards, I felt great and think next time I may try 2 miles. We'll see.

The members of Congress and other members of the US are aggravating me quite a bit. While working out today, I was watching Fox News. It was mentioned that the US is thinking about cutting almost 400 border patrol guards on the US/Mexican border. ALMOST 400!!!! What in the world are the people in charge thinking?!?!?! Why can't the people in power remember WHO it is they represent? Most Americans want the US/Mexico border patrols beefed up (along with the Canadian border, too). We don't mind people entering the United States, as long as they do it legally. I'm all for people to have a chance at a better life. That's the reason my ancestors came to the States. Just do it through the right channels.

Then, with all the talk of health care and the plan Congress wants to pass, it just makes my blood boil. I know the healthcare system here needs help. It's extremely sad when someone has a preexisting condition and are denied coverage because of it. But, tacking on all the PORK that has NOTHING to do with healthcare to the healthcare bill is a total waste of money that could be used for research or to cover the cost of patients. I have heard that Congress wants to design a healthcare system like the ones in England and Canada. What they aren't looking at is all the Canadians and British nationals that come to the US because they either can't get the care they need or it takes WAY TOO LONG to get help.

Situations like these two make me feel helpless, like my hands are tied. I have written my congressmen more in the last few months than I have in the entire time I've been able to vote. My prayers for this country feel like they are hitting the ceiling when I see what is happening (and not happening) in the nation's capitol. I plead with God help us and to show me (and the country) what we need to do but feel helpless. But, I AM NOT GIVING UP! I am still going to vote and make my voice heard. I plan to take advantage of this freedom guaranteed to me when possible. Most of all, I plan to keep praying and seeking God's direction and wisdom for myself and my country. GOD, not man, is the one who sets the rulers in place and can change their hearts to move the way He wants.

1 comment:

Janell Duley said...

Amen, Cuz!!! Great blog!