Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Thursday, June 19, 2014

Out of the Ruins Book Review

 
The Golden Gate Chronicles
Book One

SUMMARY:  "God, save her. I'll do anything.  Just make her better.  And You'd better be listening, God, because if You dare take her away . . . I'll never speak to You again."
     Abby Fischer doesn't know if God will answer her prayer for her dying sister.  She doesn't know if miracles really happen.  And she certainly doesn't know if the handsome Dr. Robert King, with his risky experimental treatment, is the one to remedy her doubts.  When tragedy strikes and the mighty San Francisco earthquake shatters what is left of her heart, Abby wonders if God will hear her as she flees alone through burning streets.  What will it take to show her that the One she doesn't want to love is the One whose love will save her?
     A shaky prayer.  A shattered faith.  A city in ruins.  What - or who - will bring Abby back to God?

REVIEW:  This was a really good book.  Most of the time, I felt like I was there, running through the streets of San Francisco, trying to navigate the chaos of a city whose streets are torn up and buildings are on fire.  The author also does a great job describing the medical advancements of the early 20th century, especially in the treatment of leukemia and the effects on the patients.  I also like how the author explained the difficulty Abby and Robert had finding each other and their loved ones in the earthquake and fire aftermath and how some did whatever could to help others, even those who were considered outsiders, like the Chinese.  Abby's turn of faith was inspiring and brought a smile to my face.
     This was a great book.  I look forward to reading others in this series and other books by this author.

This book was provided by Litfuse Publicity Group for review without compensation.

Karen Barnett is the acclaimed author of Mistaken and has also been published in Guideposts magazine.  She lives in Albany, Oregon, with her husband, two children, and a dachshund named Mystery.  Find out more at KarenBarnettBooks.com.

No comments: