Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pillow Pets and Doctors

When my mom asked Will what he wanted for his birthday, he was quick to say a Pillow Pet.  He had seen it advertised on television and just had to have one.  Mom went online, checked it out and ordered one.  It was suppose to take 3-4 weeks for delivery so Mom had a backup plan for his birthday party.  She was going to wrap a picture of it in a box then give him the real thing once it came in.  Fortunately, it was delivered today (Friday).  Mom found the box on her carport just before the kids and I stopped by.  While we were eating lunch, Mom was talking to Will about what he wanted for his birthday.  He immediately answered "A Pillow Pet!!"  She asked him a few more questions about it then gave him a box.  When he opened it, Will's eyes grew as big as saucers.  He was sooo excited!!!

Will took it with him to the doctor's office (he stepped on a bee Wednesday afternoon and had a histamine reaction to the sting).  He took it into Wal-Mart and was lying in it while in the back of the buggy.  He even took it to Baskin Robbins tonight (but left it in the car).  When we got home from Nana's, he ran over to our neighbor's house to show Mrs. Trisha and her granddaughter, Madison, his present.

Hannah and Andrew both want one.  Hannah has tried to bargain with Will to play with it by offering candy and what not.  One time, Will had it in the floor, lying on it while watching t.v.  He let Hannah lay on it for a few minutes with her blanket.  When Hannah got up to do something by the couch, Andrew jumped off the chair, picked up Hannah's blanket, threw it on the chair and plopped down on top of the pillow.  It was sooo funny to watch!  Tonight, as the kids were getting in bed, Will took his pillow off his bed and replaced it with Mr. Monkey (the name he gave his monkey pillow pet).  He is in love!!

We have been seeing a lot of our doctor's office lately.  Tuesday afternoon, Will and Nathan were playing baseball in the backyard.  Nathan was pitching and Will was hitting.  Nathan threw one of his fast balls and hit Will square in the forehead above his left eye.  It knocked the breath out of Will for a minute.  I was walking past the backdoor when I noticed Will holding his head and crying hard but silently.  After a minute or two, he and Nathan told me what happened.  Will had a nice big knot on his forehead, a huge headache and some discoloration.  I gave him some Motrin and an ice pack to help the swelling.  When I called the doctor's office (to see what I needed to look for and to see if he needed to go in), they said they wanted to see him the next day.  Thanks to God above, Will never experienced any nausea, vomiting, blurry vision or any other type of complications.  The nurse practitioner said Will was acting fine and, since he didn't have any other problems, he would not need a CAT scan.

That same Wednesday afternoon, Will and Nathan were playing baseball in the backyard again (this time using rubber and tennis balls instead of baseballs).  When it was Will's time to pitch, he stepped on something in the grass.  Thinking it was one of the many sticker weeds that populate our backyard, I told him it was nothing and to finish playing.  When he went to bed that night, Will said his foot hurt.  I didn't see anything but did feel a small bump.  Early the next morning (sometime after 5 a.m.), Will woke me up saying his foot was hurting and itching really bad.  I gave him some Benedryl and put some Calamine lotion on it and continued this regimen for the next couple of days.  Since Will was still complaining about it, I took him to the doctor.  The bottom of his foot was had a nice sized red patch that started going up his foot.  Dr. Carpenter said it looked like a histamine reaction to a sting and prescribed a steroid and Zyrtec.  Hopefully it will get better soon.  I hate to see my little man (or any of my kids) suffer.  When we left the doctor (the second time that week), I told Will that I didn't want to see the doctor again for a long time.  He just laughed.

No comments: