Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Monday, November 24, 2014

Trading Secrets Book Review


SUMMARY:  The truth may set you free - but it might also land you in some uncomfortably hot water.
     Over the years, Micah Knight has exchanged many letters - and many secrets - with her longtime Amish pen pal, Zach.  But Micah's kept quiet on the biggest secret of all - the fact that despite her name, she's a girl.
     Now Micah finally has the chance to meet her pen pal face-to-face.  She wants nothing more than to experience life on Zach's Amish farm, but she's more than a little anxious.  Will he be angry at her for deceiving him all these years?  And will she risk losing his friendship to find something more?

REVIEW:  Let me first say, this is a teen novel.  Since I have a teenager, I wanted to see if this would be something she might be interested in.  This is not the typical novel I usually read.  There were a few things I read that raised my concern.  Even though Micah and Zach had communicated for years through letters, they had never talked on the phone or met in person.  Micah's dad lets her go to visit Zack, taking a bus BY HERSELF and didn't seemed that concerned.  He is not in contact with her except for an occasional text message for a week while she is at a stranger's house.  I also was concerned at the portrayal of Zach's parents.  I know not all families, even the Amish, aren't loving and supportive but reading how these "godly" people treated their son didn't set right with me.  I guess I just like everyone to be happy and loving.  This book was okay and I was disappointed.

This book was provided by Revell for review without compensation.

Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of more than two hundred books, including the Dating Games series, the Life at Kingston High series, Double Take, A Simple Song, and My Amish Boyfriend.  She has received a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award for her many books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series and Finding Alice.  Melody and her husband live in Oregon.  Learn more at www.melodycarlson.com.

No comments: