Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Colonel's Lady Book Review


SUMMARY:  Can love survive the secrets kept buried within a tormented heart?
     Roxanna Rowan may be a genteel Virginia woman, but she is determined to brave the wilds of the untamed frontier to reach a remote Kentucky fort.  Eager to reunite with her father, who serves under Colonel Cassius McLinn, Roxanna is devastated to find that her father has been killed on a campaign.
     Penniless and out of options, Roxanna is forced to remain at the fort.  As she spends more and more time wth the fiery Colonel McLinn, the fort is abuzz with intrigue and innuendo.  Can Roxanna truly know who the colonel is - and what he's done?
    Immerse yourself in this powerful story of love, faith, and forgiveness set in the tumultuous world of the frontier in 1779.

REVIEW:  Oh, my gravy!!!  This book had me spellbound within the first few pages.  At the very beginning of the book, the author lets you know that Colonel McLinn is loosely based on Colonel George Rogers Clark, a soldier during the Revolutionary War who had a tragic life.  She "felt compelled to give him a happier ending," giving him the life and love she thought he might have had if his life had turned out differently.  Mrs. Frantz did an outstanding job!  I felt like I was there with the characters watching everything as it happened.  I love how Roxanna's character looked after and helped the "ladies" (of the evening) she traveled downriver with, risking her reputation.  There were enough twists, turns and mystery to keep you guessing until the end.  The was a fantastic book and I look forward to reading other stories written by her.  BRAVO!

Available August 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

This book was provided by Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group, for review without compensation.

Laura Frantz credits her grandmother as being the catalyst for her fascination with Kentucky history.  Frantz's family followed Daniel Boone into Kentucky in the late eighteenth century and settled in Madison County, where her family still resides.  Frantz is the author of The Frontiersman's Daughter and Courting Morrow Little and currently lives in the misty woods of Washington with her husband and two sons.  Learn more about her books, read her blog, and learn fun facts at www.laurafrantz.net.

1 comment:

Laura Frantz said...

Chelle,
I just love your review! Oh my gravy, yes:) You've blessed me so much with this! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking time for Roxanna's story. You have a beautiful blog!