Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Saturday, December 18, 2010

Dwelling on the Positive

Dwelling on the positive things in life is hard. I tend to want to think about the bad, hard, and negative things that are going on and that have happened instead of focusing on the wonderful things God has provided.

For example, yesterday was my birthday. I love celebrate birthdays and I'm proud to tell people I am 43 years old. But something happened last night that I allowed to put a damper on my festivities. Instead of cooking my own birthday dinner, I asked my husband if we could go out instead. Where I wanted to go eat (Carraba's) was too far of a drive so I thought about all the options available near our house. I decided on On The Border, a place I haven' been to in a while but love. So, Mike and I loaded up the kids and headed off. When the kids were told where we were going, they started in with the whining and complaining. It didn't stop until we were on our way home. At the restaurant, they fought with each other. One didn't like the choices on the kid's menus and drink options. Another wanted to stand up and jump on the seat (we were sitting in a corner booth) or sit on the corner edge of the back of the seat. When the food came out, they weren't happy with the cheese on the nachos they ordered (it was melted instead of the nacho cheese). It went on and on. I know we bothered the people around us even though they didn't say anything.

What I should focus on (and need to remind myself to do regularly) is that I have a family that cares about me. My husband is awesome, loves me a lot and treats me like a queen. He still has a great job and we can afford to go out to eat. (I have two different friends that have just gone through job losses and don't know what to do.) My kids are healthy and love each other, even though they don't like each other some of the time. I have a house that I love to share with others any time of the year (as long as they don't mind the mess ;-)). Most important of all, I have a Savior who loves me, died for me and forgives me of all I've done wrong even though I will never be able to repay Him.

Life isn't going to go the way I expect or want it to. I just have to remember to focus on the blessings God has given me and trust Him to get me through the rough patches. He will ALWAYS be there for me.

No comments: