Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Monday, September 20, 2010

Awesome Kids!

I have to brag on Hannah and Will!!  Hannah was selected to be in the National Elementary Honor Society at her school!!!  Will was selected to be in Spotlight at his school!!!

Not long after school started, Hannah brought home a note saying that she was a candidate for the NEHS at her school because of her grades.  We had to complete a form that listed all of her accomplishments over the last year.  Some of the things they were looking for were if she did volunteer work around the house and for family members; if she participated in community projects; if she was a member of any teams, groups, or organizations; and if she had received any type of rewards.  They only wanted information for Third, Fourth and Fifth grades.  We included her helping around here with the chores and the boys and helping Mom out this summer by cleaning her house. For community projects, we listed the Operation Christmas Child box we made last year.  As for the teams, we listed her softball, basketball, and soccer teams and noted how long she had played on each (this is her sixth year to play soccer).  For awards, I noted how Hannah had the most AR points in her class and in the whole Second grade.  Even though the award for AR wasn't in the parameters they asked for, I felt it was important.  The counsel met and discussed all the candidates and Hannah was selected.  She is to be inducted on 30 September.  YEAH HANNAH!!

At the end of the school year last year, Will brought home a note that he was being tested for Spotlight and that he did exceptionally well.  He was suppose to be tested again over the summer but, due to a large number of students that also did well, his testing didn't occur until well after school started.  This afternoon I received a call from the Spotlight teacher saying Will had been selected and should start this Wednesday.  From what I understand about this group, they are students that are smart who also benefit from additional instruction.  I think it is like an Advanced Placement group.  Anyway, it is exciting!!  WAY TO GO WILL!!

Hannah asked me which was better: Spotlight or the Honor Society.  (She tested for Spotlight but never made it in even though her grades have been really good.)  I told her they both were high honors and were equally awesome!! 

Needless to say, Mike and I both are very proud of our children!!

No comments: