Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Friday, August 20, 2010

Baron's surgery

The last two months have been really hard.  It seems like we are getting hit from all sides.  We've had problems with our air conditioner, the van, deaths in the family, and now our dog Baron.  For those who aren't familiar with our pet, Baron is our black Lab.  When Mike and I got married, we gave each other Labs as wedding presents: Gracy was mine; Baron was Mike's.  We lost Gracy last year to cancer.  Before Gracy's cancer diagnosis, we noticed a lump on Baron's side.  The vet said it looked like a fatty tumor.  It should come off but was fine to leave for a while.  Last week, I took Baron in to have some bloodwork done and had a small lump on his chest looked at.  The lump had adnormal cells so I took him in yesterday to have it removed as well as the lump on his side (over time, it had grown quite large).  The doctor was able to remove the small lump quickly but the large lump proved to be more difficult.  It had started taking on a life of it's own, with veins all over it.  Dr. Hooker said the veins were close to rupturing.  If they had ruptured, Baron would have died. 

A few hours after surgery, Dr. Hooker said Baron was doing great.  He was walking around and did very well while in surgery.  Last night, around 8:30, Dr. Hooker called and said that Baron was having some problems and wasn't doing so well.  He was having trouble breathing so she gave him some more pain medication to help him sleep.  She thought he would have a 50-50 chance of making it through the night.  As you can expect, I didn't take the news so well.  I cried and prayed all night long, trusting God to take care of him.  Mike called this morning around 7 and was told Baron made it through the night and seemed to be okay.  The other vet who helped with the surgery, Dr. Chandler, is suppose to call Mike in a little bit to let us know what it going on.  I do not like to wait, especially in cases like this.

No comments: