Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Saturday, February 13, 2010

Big Boy Underwear

We have been trying to potty train Andrew for a while now. He likes to sit on the potty and play but not to do his "business." Now, as a stall tactic at bedtime, he will tell you he needs to go potty but doesn't do anything. So, tonight, Andrew did the same thing. This time he said his pajamas were wet. (They weren't.) While he was sitting there, I started my usual discussion.

"Andrew, you know, if you go to the bathroom in the potty all the time, you can start wearing your big boy underwear. You can wear Lightning McQueen, Buzz Lightyear, Scooby Doo, and Spiderman but you have to go potty in the potty."

About 15 minutes after putting Andrew to bed, I heard the boys' door open. Andrew came out and said he had to go potty again. Here's our conversation:

M - "Andrew, go to bed."
A - "Mama, my pajamas are wet."
M - "No they are not. GO TO BED."
A - "Mama, my pajamas are wet."
M - "Andrew, come here and let me check."

They were soaked!!! When I pulled down Andrew's pajama pants to see if his diaper was on wrong or had a huge gap, I didn't find a diaper. Instead, I found a pair of big boy underwear on (they were backwards)!!! He decided he wanted to wear underwear and took it upon himself to put them on. He left the clean and dry diaper on the bedroom floor. I had to change Andrew's pjs and his bed because his sheets were also soaked. While I was getting him redressed, I told him that, for now, he needed to wear his diaper until he went pottied in the potty all the time. He would get his underwear wet and dirty if he didn't.

We will keep trying and hopefully it will click soon. I have been changing diapers for nine years straight with no breaks in between children. I am sooo ready for this one to be done!!

*I read somewhere once to put underwear on over a child's diaper while potty training. This way, the child is wearing his/her favorite while not getting them dirty. It also gives them an incentive to start using the facilities all the time. So far, that trick hasn't worked for me. You now can see why.

No comments: