Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hannah's Reading Skills Test and Comments from Will's Teacher

Recently, before Christmas break, Hannah took a STAR Reading computer-adaptive reading test. This test shows her reading level and how she compares with other students nationally. Based on national norms, Hannah is reading at a level that is typical of a third grader after the third month of the school year. Her percentile rank is 83 which says Hannah reads at a level greater than 83% of other students nationally in the same grade and is above average. The Instructional Reading Level shows she is at least 80% proficient at recognizing words and comprehending reading material. This means she is at least 80% proficient at reading third grade words and books. Isn't that awesome?!! Mike and I are very proud of her. She loves to read and we encourage her to read often.

For Christmas, Patti bought Hannah some "Magic Treehouse" books, four I think. Within a few days, Hannah had read all of them. Today, she picked out another "Magic Treehouse" book (there are about 26 in the series) and finished it while at school. She has really enjoyed them. I think I know what to get her for Christmas. Now, if I can only get her interested in the "Little House" books. Those were my favorites (and still are). I think I still have them up in the attic, along with my Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and Bobsey Twins books. I will have to see if I can get them down.

Now to brag on Will at bit... I went to the kids' school Christmas parties back in December. While I was in Will's room, his teacher, Mrs. Kicker, told me that she really enjoyed having Will in her class. She mentioned that he amazes her with how smart he is. Mrs. Kicker said he is reading and comprehends everything very quickly. When I mentioned to her that I had debated on whether or not to hold him back (because of his birthday being in June), she told me it was a good thing I didn't. He would have been extremely bored and would not have done as well. Again, Mike and I are so proud of Will and the work he is doing in school. My kids just amaze me (and scare me sometimes) at just how smart they are. Aren't they just awesome?!!

No comments: