Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Monday, January 12, 2009

Dinner

I have to brag a little. Tonight I made a chicken spinach quiche with a homemade pie crust that was awesome!! I found the recipes at www.allrecipes.com last night while looking for dinner ideas. Even if you don't like spinach, I would recommend you try this recipe. The pie crust recipe was very easy to make. I've never made a homemade pie crust before. It is a little intimidating to even think of making one. The recipe I found online has ingredients that I keep on hand. It is really good. If anyone is interested, I am going to post them both here.

Easy Pie Crust
(submitted by B1BMOM)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps white sugar (I used 2 1/2 tsp instead)
1 tsp salt (I used 1/2 tsp instead)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place all ingredients in a 9 inch pie pan. Stir together with a fork. Pat mixture into bottom and up the sides of the pan. Poke holes in bottom and sides of crust. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven or until light brown. Use as directed in favorite pie recipe.

(For the quiche, do not bake the pie crust beforehand.) While looking at the recipe reviews, I noticed quite a few people said the crust was a little too salty for pies, but would work in quiches and other items. They all suggested reducing the amount of salt and increasing the sugar. I did both and it turned out great. It was flaky too.

Chicken Spinach Quiche
(submitted by Barbara McCalley)

Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes Servings: 6

Ingredients:
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
1 c diced cooked chicken (or more if desired)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 c finely chopped onion
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
3/4 c mayonnaise
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
(I added some garlic powder too)

Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese into the pie crust. In a bowl, combine chicken, 1/2 cup spinach, onion and remaining cheese (save remaining spinach for another use). Spoon mixture into pie crust. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the chicken mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

(We ate it about 5-10 minutes after coming out of the oven and it was fine.)

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

No comments: