Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Monday, March 23, 2015

After a Fashion Book Review






SUMMARY:  Miss Harriet Peabody dreams of the day she can open up a shop selling refashioned gowns to independent working women like herself.  Unfortunately, when an errand for her millinery shop job goes sadly awry due to a difficult customer, she finds herself without an income.
     Mr. Oliver Addleshaw is on the verge of his biggest business deal yet when he learns his potential partner prefers to deal with men who are settled down and wed.  When Oliver witnesses his ex not-quite-fiancee causing the hapless Harriet to lose her job, he tries to make it up to her by enlisting her help in making a good impression on his business partner.
     Harriet quickly finds her love of fashion can't make her fashionable.  She'll never truly fit into Oliver's world, with its fancy dinner and elegant balls, but just as she's ready to call off the fake relationship a threat from her past forces both Oliver and Harriet to discover that love can come in the most surprising packages.

REVIEW:  Oliver, a member of one of the elite Knickerbocker families, lives the luxurious life in a very fashionable neighborhood.  Harriet lives in the Lower East Side of New York City, the heart of the slums, and had a very abnormal childhood.  While the story was fun and very entertaining, I found myself distracted by the timeline.  The first third of the book takes place all in one day.  After that, it was difficult to figure out the total passage of time for the rest of the book.  I wasn't sure if the rest occurred in two weeks or two months.  Knowing this would have helped me in completely understanding the decisions made by the main characters at the end of the book.
     Now, I loved the middle and end!!  At first, I wasn't sure if I trusted Abigail but after a little bit, I found her very likable and fun.  The ending was not what I was expecting but I was very pleasantly pleased with everything.  Another thing I found refreshing was that Harriet told Oliver about her past and her aunt's plans and how Oliver accepted it.  I was also satisfied with how Oliver stepped up and was very supportive of Harriet when some information about her past came to light.
     This is a good book with potential of sequels about Millie and Lucetta (two wonderful friends of Harriet's) to come. 

This book was provided by Bethany House for review without compensation.

Jen Turano is the author of five books, including A Most Peculiar Circumstance, which was one of Booklist's Top 10 Romances of 2013.  She makes her home in Denver, Colorado, with her husband and son.  Visit her website at www.jenturano.com.

No comments: