Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Table by the Window Book Review

A Novel of Family Secrets and Heirloom Recipes

SUMMARY:  Every cook knows finding the right balance between savory and sweet is a tricky business.
     The youngest heir to the French-Italian restaurant dynasty, food writer Juliette D'Alisa has spend her life negotiating her skill with words and her restaurant aspirations.  When her brother Nico offers a chance to open a restaurant together, she feels torn - does she really have what it takes?  Should she risk leaving her journalism career?
     Sorting through her late grandmother's belongings, Juliette discovers an antique photograph of a man who looks strikingly like her brother.  As the truth behind the picture reveals romance and startling secrets, Juliette struggles to keep the mystery hidden from her nosy family until she can uncover the whole story.
     Beginning a long-distance relationship with a Memphis-based immunologist just complicates Juliette's life-shifting decisions.  How can she possibly choose between a promising culinary career and a doctor whose life is worlds away from her own?  Is it possible her grandmother's past can help her move forward?

REVIEW:  To be honest, at first I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book.  But, once I opened it and started reading, I didn't want to put it down.  Juliette's character sounds like someone I would love to be friends with.  She was conscientious and thoughtful. Instead of taking advantage of the spotlight she was put in due to her food columns, she passes it on to her friend, who was much better suited for the job. There were times I wished I could eat at her family's restaurant and taste the food she and her family and friends' make because it all sounded so delicious.  I loved how she decided to keep the antique photo found in her late grandmother's things a secret until she got more information about it and how it would affect her family.  She didn't want to to stir up trouble but was thinking of the  questions and maybe even heartache that could/would come out of it.
     There are a bunch of recipes included in this book, from main courses, sides dishes, desserts, breads and everything in between.  There are a few I would like to try if I ever get up the courage.
     Now, the book seemed to end abruptly with a LOT of unanswered questions.  But, when I realized there was another book to follow, I got excited.  This is one series I hope to continue to follow and see how Juliette fairs in her relationship with Neil, how the restaurant with Nico turns out, and the mystery behind the man in the photograph.  This is a book to put on your MUST READ list.

This book was provided by Waterbrook Multnomah (Blogging for Books) for review without compensation.
 
Hillary Manton Lodge is the author of Plain Jayne, a Carol Award Finalist, and Simply Sara, an ECPA best-selling book. A graduate of the University of Oregon's School of Journalism, Hillary discovered the world of cuisine during her internship at Northwest Palate magazine.  In her free time she enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, watching foreign films, and exploring new walking trails.  She and her husband live in Portland, Oregon.

No comments: