Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Courting Cate Book Review

The Courtships of Lancaster County
Book One

SUMMARY:  When this couple gets to courting, sparks will fly!
     In Paradise, Pennsylvania, Cate Miller is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance.  Her sweet and flirty sister, Betsy, on the other hand, seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County!
     But the sisters' wealthy father has made one hard-and-fast rule:  Cate, as the oldest, must get married before Betsy can do so.  Unfortunately, untamable Cate has driven away every suitor - until Pete Treger comes to town, that is.
     Prodded by the men of the area, Pete turns his attention to winning Cate's hand.  But is his interest true or is there a scheme at play?

REVIEW:  This book is an adaptation of Shakespeare's play, Taming of the Shrew.  Since it has been a while since I last read or watched the play, I had a little trouble comparing how it this story with the original.  I like how the author added a new twist to it by making the main characters Amish.  My heart went out to Cate because I understand where she is coming from with her hurts and failures in love and life.  At times, I had a hard time with decisions Pete made after he and Cate were married but, after I finished the book, I understood his thinking a little better.
     This is a good book and would recommend it to anyone wanting an interesting and refreshing read.

This book was provided by Bethany House for review without compensation.

Leslie Gould is the coauthor of the #1 bestselling The Amish Midwife, winner of the 2012 Christy Award for Contemporary Series.  She holds an MFA in creative writing from Portland State University and resides with her husband and four children in Portland, Oregon.  Visit her online on Facebook or at LeslieGould.com

No comments: