Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Sunday, August 26, 2012

Story Book Review

Our Journey of Heartache and Grace 
from Eden to Evermore

SUMMARY:  Recapture the mystery of God's story.
     With stunning imagery, powerful poetry, and real-life drama, Story is an inspiring journey from the creation of the world to eternity and everything in between.  Consummate storyteller Steven James threads together familiar scenes from Scripture that will awaken your faith and inspire you to live in the reality of Christ's sacrifice.  As he unveils the intricacies of the whole story of the Bible, you will rediscover the majesty and the mystery you've been missing.

REVIEW:  This book starts in Genesis with the creation story and ends with Christ showing Himself to His followers.  The author gives new life and insight to the Old Testament and the Gospels.  At first, a few of his observations caught my attention but it was lost quickly.  But, once I got to his take on the Gospels, my interest was peaked again.  I was really impressed with his view on Jesus and His crucifixion.
     Here is an example regarding Judas and Jesus:
For a while I used to wonder why Jesus didn't cast Satan out of Judas.  After all, he'd sent demons out of people before.  He could have saved Judas, right?  Set him free from the devil?  Why didn't he?  I thought I finally had a question that cornered God.
But then I remembered that everything Jesus did was guided by perfect love.  Judas had chosen his own path and priorities, just like that rich young man whom Jesus let walk away.  Judas didn't want to be saved.  Jesus had to let him go because Judas wasn't ready to be a follower.
Love has to let the beloved choose.  Judas had made his choice.  Jesus had to let Judas walk away because he wasn't ready to embrace the kingdom life.  He'd never been ready.  The lover gives the beloved a chance to say yes before stepping over the threshold.  For three years Judas had said no.
      If you are interested in a different look at the Bible, give this book a try.  Since I was impressed by his take on the New Testament, I am thinking of giving his view of the Old Testament another look.

This book was provided by Revell for review without compensation. 

Available August 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Critically acclaimed author Steven James has written more than thirty books, including Flirting with the Forbidden and the bestselling Patrick Bowers thriller series.  He has taught writing and creative storytelling on three continents and is a contributing editor to Writer's Digest. Steven lives in Tennessee with his wife and three daughters.

No comments: