Psalm 27:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

www.biblegateway.com


Monday, May 31, 2010

My Big Girl

Well, Hannah is off on her very first youth camp trip.  Our church has a summer youth camp called Camp Tsungani every year for kids who have completed the third through sixth grades.  It is an Indian themed camp centered on Christ as our Head Chief.  Ever since I started going to this church over 20 years ago, I have heard how wonderful and exciting Camp Tsungani was.  When Mike and I started having kids, I got excited thinking they could go.  This is Hannah's first year to go.

At first, she was apprehensive about being gone for a week from Mom and Dad. [The longest she's ever been away from us by herself (without the boys) is three or four days.]  Mike and I really talked up camp, telling her how much fun she was going to have, what kind of activities she would be doing and all the friends from church that she would be able to play and spend time with.  Even Friday and Saturday Hannah was still a little nervous, but ready to go (her bags have been packed for about two weeks!).  Last night, she and I went through her bags to make sure she had everything she needed.  She was getting more and more excited.  This child (who does not like to go to bed early) kept telling me to hurry up so she could go to bed and get her rest.

I woke her up at 5:30 so she could get ready.  By 6, Hannah was chomping at the bit to leave.  When we got to the church, she was out of the van and getting her bags out before anyone else could move.  Hannah found her friend Emily and forgot all about us.  Mike and I were able to get a few pictures with her before they loaded the buses.  She didn't even look back when they started boarding the buses.  Hannah did wave a few times before and while they were leaving.  At least I know she is not crying and missing us.

I am so excited for her.  I remember going to youth camp when I was younger and all the fun we had.  Our camp was north of town; Hannah's is 160 miles away.  I'm not worried about her.  She will be WELL looked after.  Hannah's counselor is a good friend of mine, along with the Director of the camp.  I also know quite a few of the counselors, staff and expedition (activities) leaders.  I told her that she would be the most looked after child there at camp.  We will miss having her at home but I know she will have a great time.

No comments: